Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Preaching the Benefits of Read Aloud

I'm a true believer in serendipity.

When I was searching for a few last statistics to plug into a speech I'm giving tomorrow to the Birmingham Area Kiwanis Club (twenty minutes on the importance of reading aloud and listening to the written word, spoken). I stumbled on TWO news items that gave me great pause.



First, I discovered that Jim Trelease has retired from his public speaking gigs. For those who are not "Treleaseans", Jim Trelease is the gentleman who made exposing, understanding and preaching the benefits of reading aloud his life's work. His definitive title, "The Read Aloud Handbook" (Penguin Group) is one of the most powerful and moving arguments for the the importance of reading aloud early, often and beyond the childhood years. I've seen him speak (twice) and I've bought countless copies of the handbook for friends (editions 1 through 6). I guess I always hoped I'd hear him speak one more time at a university or high school in the South. I wanted to introduce him to my kids, especially my oldest son who was literally transformed by Jim's advice. Maybe that chance is gone - but I'll hold out hope that Jim may re-emerge here and there to share the read-aloud gospel with us once again.

Second, I discovered that Frank Muller passed away on June 4. Muller was one of the most sought after audio book readers in the business, many would say the best (and I would agree). He read aloud the works of John Grisham, Stephen King, Elmore Leonard and others. Muller was traumatically injured in a motorcycle accident in 2001 and was unable record further books. I was so sad to learn of his injuries years ago, but I suppose I hoped that he might eventually recover enough to lend his powerful and distinctive voice acting to another project down the road. My sincerest sympathies are with his family and friends.

But I'll confess that I'm glad to have discovered these news items before my speech tomorrow. I'll carry their influence with me as I go on and preach the 'audio' lifestyle for another round, to new friends - who I hope will join me on the read aloud journey.

No comments: