Saturday, September 20, 2008

Why I love Stephenie Meyer's "Twilight" Series



I work part-time in a popular book store and one of the most phenomenal things I've noticed in relation to the "Twilight" series is the rabid enthusiasm for the books from reluctant readers. Here's the pitch I get from about 50% of the young women who are holding the book (nay, clasping it to their breast with a fanatic light in their eyes)..."I HATE to read...I LOVE this book!".

It's always been one of the most heart-breaking revelations I hear from young readers and parents alike..."I HATE to read" or "My child HATES to read." Once those words are spoken aloud, I feel like the gauntlet has been thrown down (or thrown in - sigh). I spend a lot of time suggesting really great books on audio in hopes that an outstanding read-aloud (audio) may bring some reluctant readers back into the fold. But it's hard to tell if you are getting through, if they are going to try reading for pleasure again. It's like trying to sell an unseen property to someone whose savings were cleaned out by a land swindler.

So when "Twilight" emerged as a serious hook for 'anti-readers' - it definitely got my attention. I poured over the books to discover what makes them so compelling - especially for teens who loathe reading. I confess that I love the story - but I can't put my finger on the 'hook'. I think that peer enthusiasm and the subject matter may be some primary drivers of the phenomena. Adding in Meyer's excellent character development and non-formulaic approach to a subject that's been explored in many other venues, and a seriously addictive storyline - - perhaps all these elements combined to propel her wildly successful best-selling series. Whatever it was, she grabbed the window of book interest that was closing shut on a whole generation of book-averse teens and just shoved it wide open. I think she's chocked it open for a while, too.

Personally - I think that reading enthusiasts owe Meyer a debt of gratitude. Not for her engaging writing, not for her dedicated creativity and commitment to her story - but simply because she's accomplished something that is so FREAKING HARD - bringing the hard-case reluctant teen readers back to the world of books. Don't even get me started on the adult readers who have rediscovered the pleasure of reading via "Twilight" ...that's a whole 'nother post for another day.

Thank you, Ms. Meyer and Little, Brown & Co.!

No comments: